Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Kid-Friendly Snack Chart

In an ever-continuing effort to teach my kids about healthy snacking, I posted a "Healthy Snack Chart" :) They can choose a snack off the list pretty much anytime they would like throughout the day as they are all healthy options. If they would like something that's not on the list, then they need to ask Mom for permission.





What's on the list?

-boiled egg
-carrot sticks
-celery sticks
-avocado slices
-black beans
-peanuts
-almonds
-pistachios
-berries (strawberries/blackberries/blueberries/raspberries)
-apple
-yogurt
-cheese

In addition, I keep a bowl of fruit on the table (usually small apples and/or bananas) that they can grab if they are hungry.

I do not mind snacking throughout the day as long as it's a "mini meal" and not empty calories! I found when we did The Maker's Diet that if they were not filling up on cereal/crackers/bread throughout the day, then they ate SO much more real food!! So I'm trying to continue that, but in a more long-term manner. So far, I see them check the list pretty much anytime they are hungry. They talk about the various food groups, and they know what is healthy and what is not (for the most part). So, we'll see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment